Driving Abroad After Brexit

We have all spent the best part of 2020 wishing for the new year to bring around a sense of normality. But from 1 January 2021 traveling to the EU, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Iceland, and Norway will not be going back to normal. If you wish to drive abroad you will need to be up to date with the latest post Brexit guidelines, but don’t worry here at Refused Car Finance we have all the latest information, so you know exactly what you’ll be doing.

Driving Abroad After Brexit Checklist PDF

Traveling & commuting to the EU After Brexit

Post Brexit Passport Rules

If you plan on traveling to the EU whether by car or otherwise, you must ensure your passport has at least 6 months left and is less than 10 years old. Otherwise, you may need to renew it which can take time. You can check whether your passport is up for renewal online if you’re unsure.

Travel Insurance & Health Care

No doubt you have had your European Health Insurance Card, commonly known as EHIC, sitting in your wallet waiting for your next trip overseas. Unfortunately, for most people, it will only be valid until 31 December 2020.

This means from 1 January 2021 you could be charged for any medical treatment and healthcare you receive. Therefore, it’s best to take out travel insurance that will cover you.

You can get a new UK-issued EHIC if you:

  • have a registered S1 form or E121 because you receive a qualifying pension or benefit
  • have a registered S1 form or E121 because you’re a family member of someone with a qualifying pension or benefit
  • have a registered S1 form or E106 because you’re a frontier worker (someone who works in one state and lives in another) by 31 December 2020, for as long as you continue to be a frontier worker in the host state
  • have a registered S1 form or E109 because you’re a family member of someone considered to be a frontier worker
  • are a UK student studying in the EU by 31 December 2020

Find out more about applying for a free European Health Insurance Card.

Border Control Changes

As you approach border control you will be expected to use a separate lane than the EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens. Depending on which country you are visiting, you may be required to present your return or onward ticket as well as show that you have enough money for your stay.

What doesn’t change when driving abroad post Brexit?

Despite many rumours, there is still quite a lot that won’t change.

Is a visa required to drive to the EU?

Many people worried they may have to get a visa when driving in the EU after Brexit, however as long as you are there for less than 90 days in any 180-day period a visa is not required.

If you travel to Cyprus, Bulgaria, Croatia, or Romania, visits to other countries will not count towards the 90-day total.

For all the latest information please check https://www.gov.uk/visit-eu-switzerland-norway-iceland-liechtenstein


Refused Car Finance Reviews

4.86 Average

218 Reviews

Mark Mccarthy

Brilliant first class service could have not have asked for a better service staff was amazing and very quick to help me get a car within two days top class will tell anyone who wants to get a good deal on getting a car

Ashley Lightner

When others were saying sorry, Refused Car Finance did not give up. They found me an offer from a lender that Carfinance 24/7 said had refused me. Thanks to Refused Car Finance I now have my new car

Darren Maguire

Absolutely unbelievable customer service and help from start to finish Dan who sorted things out was very patient with me and got me the best deal possible and when we came to sign things over it felt like I was dealing with a friend

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More

Okay, thank you